Celtech Consultancy Ltd. Links | Sitemap | Contact Us


What are Building Regulations?

Building regulations exist under powers provided in the Building Act 1984 and apply in England and Wales, their primary purpose is to ensure the health and safety of people in and around all types of buildings. Further areas include energy conservation use of building and access.

What are approved Inspectors?

Approved Inspectors are private companies and can be used as an alternative to your local authority building control department. A’Is are not restricted by boundaries and can work throughout England and Wales.

Do I need to involve the local authority if I use an approved Inspector?

No. If you use an approved inspector they will take on all responsibility for plan checking and inspection of your building work. The AI will notify the relevant local authority of your intended building work by means of an initial notice so that it can be recorded for future land searches. Once the work has been completed and satisfies the Building Regulation requirements, the AI will issue a final certificate to the local authority. No fee is payable to the council they will not be the approving body for building control and should not attend site once you have appointed an AI.

How do your fees compare to the local authority?

Our fees are competitive and are to scale dependent on the contract value of the project . We issue invoices in advance of completion or at key stage of work where the project is complex or of notable value. All fees are subject to VAT and pay structures can be agreed on request.

What’s included in the fee?

Once we have been formally appointed and the initial notice has been accepted by the local authority we take responsibility for all aspects of building control which will include:

  • Advising on how the Building Regulations apply to the project
  • Checking Plans
  • Issuing a plans certificate (if requested)
  • Inspecting works as it progresses
  • Issuing a final certificate

We will inform you of any information required to achieve compliance of building regulations.

When can I start work?

On appointment we will issue an initial notice to the local authority in which they have 5 working days to reject it. It is important not to commence any building work during the 5 days as it may be deemed unauthorised and default back to the council. Once the 5 day window has passed work can start.

I need a site inspection, what should I do?

You will be allocated a surveyor on commencement and they will serve as a single point of contact for your project. Inspections will be conducted at key stages of work and can also be arranged on request.

The work has finished, how do I obtain a final certificate?

Provided that the surveyor is satisfied that the work complies with the building regulations a final certificate will be issued to the appropriate council.

I’ve lost my certificate, can you send me a copy?

If you have lost or damaged your completion certificate please make a request in writing to our registered address for an additional copy. You will incur no fee for using this service, but it should be noted we will not release any information to a 3rd party unless direct permission has been received by our appointed client ie whoever paid the fee.

How do I register a complaint

All complaints are taken seriously and are dealt with in a fair, consistent and structured process to secure a remedy for failures in the delivery of our service. If you would like to register a complaint please write to us at 18 Charles Street, Caerphilly, CF83 3AQ and we will aim to respond within 7 days of receiving your letter.